Thursday, January 13, 2011

Grandma Bonnie's Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's just one of those days... the kind day where big snowflakes fall quietly to the ground... the sun just barely trying to peek out from behind the clouds... and where the chill makes you sharply catch your breath as you dash outside to get the mail. The kind of day that makes you want to stay inside, curled up on the couch with some steaming tea or coffee, snuggled under a blanket... listening to the silence, or digging your nose into a book.

Or a day that simply says: "Bake cookies!"

So I did.

I dug through my recipe box to find a recipe, when I came across Jake's grandma's cookie recipe. Which, I believe, is from HER mother. Old recipe = good recipe. So I gathered my ingredients and mixed up the dough.

[mix well:]
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
1 c. shortening
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

[add:]
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips 

[add:]
3 c. + 6 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt



Roll the dough into balls [but don't flatten]. 



Start a tray of cookies on the 2nd to bottom rack, and when they start to spread, move them to the 2nd to the top rack. She said she doesn't know how long to bake them for, but "until they look done."

Then take them out, leave them on the tray for a minute or two; then remove.


There USED to be 9 cookies... isn't there that rule about being able to eat any cookies that you accidentally "moosh" with the pot holder? ...okay, so maybe I just made that one up.

[Grandma Bonnie wisely told me
that she never questioned her mother's instructions
on how to bake cookies;
 that she just "did it."]



I think I hear a pot holder-mooshed cookie calling my name...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We always end up with "leftover" dough in the fridge to enjoy. Grandma Bonnie's recipe is the best (though I will add cinnamon every once in a while for a little extra ;) )