Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New Life

 .
Well, since it's been announced on Facebook, it might as well be announced here as well...  

we're having a baby! 

As you can see from the little "baby bubble" on the right side of the screen [under our photo], I'm just 7w2d along, which may seem early to be sharing the news... but to be honest, we could really use the extra prayer! In case something does happen, it would be nice to have the support, too. It's hard enough to be away from home and everything that is normal to us... it will be nice to have people praying specifically for the health and growth of our little one.

We fly home on December 9th of this year, and I'm due on January 31st, 2011. If everything goes well, I shouldn't have a problem flying home in December... other than enduring the super long flight and 24 hour layover in Amsterdam. I plan to do a lot of walking on the plane, and we're hoping to be able to pick our seats... emergency exit seats, please!! Extra leg room.

I'm feeling pretty good so far... a little queasiness here and there, but nothing like full blown nausea. I'm tired more often and quite a bit more emotional, but at least there is good reason for it! 

Since a post isn't complete without a photo... here's the proof...



Is it gross to post the photo of my "pee stick?" Oh well... I've never been really good at being 'proper...' ;] Anyways, we're both really excited... Jake is doing great at taking care of me [as always], and I know he's going to be a great daddy!

And before anyone asks... no, we're not going to find out the gender early. The "planner" in me definitely wants to know... but there are so few REAL surprises in life, and we want to wait until the baby is born to find out. I think it's exciting! :]

What we need to do now... check with our insurance [that isn't exactly insurance... kind of confusing] and see where I can deliver, since we are considered 'low income.' My hope is to find some sort of birthing center with midwives that are focused on low/no interventions. This might be a little bit of a challenge, but God knows what we need, and He will provide!

We're leaving our hotel around noon tomorrow, and then our flight to Ethiopia leaves around 5; it's a four hour flight.. We have a 3 hour layover in Ethiopia and then a 2 hour flight to Nairobi. THEN we have to find a bus to the matatu [14 passenger bus, aka a "death bus" or "coffin on wheels"] stage [station], and then we take a matatu for 3 hours to Gilgil. After that, we have to find a couple of pickypicky's [motorbikes] and have them take us home. Lots of traveling... please pray for our safety!

Blessings,

Laura, Jake and baby [that feels so weird... but I like it!!]

No comments: