Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Wonderfulness of the Weekend...

I think the weekends are my favorite part of camp... and not necessarily because it's less structured than the busyness of the week, but because I get to spend a lot of time with the students. Now that relationships have been developed, and it's not awkward to just hang out, I really enjoy doing that. I'm really relational... I love building relationships and getting to know people. 

On Fridays, we split the guys and girls and do a separate class. It was my turn to teach this week's girl session. Teaching isn't my favorite thing to do... in fact, I dread it. I get very nervous, sometimes almost to the point of panicking. But I made it through... I'm reminded of a verse in Jeremiah that a friend shared with me a few weeks ago:
Now the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born, I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth." But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a youth,' for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD."

[thanks, Sarah!]

I know teaching isn't my gift. I've been praying for years that God would give that gift to me. But I also know that:
"But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." [1st Corinthians 1:27-31]

I might be weak, and teaching might not be my gift... but God can still use me to do it. 
Saturday was a really fun day! Jake and I decided that we would bike to town. Most of the students usually go after "brunch;" it's really their only 'free' day, so they usually take advantage of the opportunity to leave the compound. It's about 4+ miles to town: rocky, hilly and sandy most of the way. First we stopped at "Jaco's Bicycle Repair." Jaco has been repairing our bikes at least every other week... something is always going wrong with them [thanks to China]! He fixed my bike pedal that kept falling off [try pedaling with only one], and Jake's bike seat. Then we stopped at the "Highland Hotel..." not really a hotel, but just a small restaurant. Jake was hungry; I wasn't... Jake won. All he wanted were a couple "chapati." Chapati is a heavy flat bread, and Jake has loved it from the beginning. I don't LOVE it, but it's okay. It's too heavy/greasy for my liking. This is what it looks like:

After our meal of two chapati, a Coke [for Jake], and a Black Currant Fanta for me [my new favorite soda], we headed off on our bike, but not before we were asked by a Kenyan man, "How about we trade bicycles? [talking to Jake] You can take mine, and I'll take yours." Hahaha...

After riding back through town, we found a sidewalk that was somewhat shaded to sit and 'people watch' for a little while. Or rather, let people watch US. It's not rude to stare here; we've definitely had to get used to that!! A few students found and joined us. Jake went into the market area and bought two mangoes, which we cut open and shared with the students who were with us. Then we decided it would be a good idea to head back. We rode back... not really sure why the trek always seems shorter on the way back, but it does!!

After resting for a bit, I grabbed our volleyball and played with the students for about three hours. They are SO competitive! Volleyball is probably my favorite sport, and I really enjoy playing it... I'm glad we we have a net here to use. It's definitely not the best net... but it works.

Unfortunately there are thorns EVERYWHERE here, so the volleyball has a very short lived life compared to most. This ball has a thorn stuck in it that we cut off at the surface and taped over... at least the air isn't coming out!

Today we had our typical church service in the meeting room. After half an hour of clapping and singing in Swahili, one of the student leaders spoke. Now the students are preparing their lunch, and after they eat, they will head over to the orphanage to do some work there. Jake and I are debating on going again... at least this week, I'm not throwing up [unlike last week- and no, I'm not pregnant]! But I'm not sure if I'm up to another 10+ mile bike ride ;]

I think that's all the excitement for this weekend... goodbye!

No comments: