Thursday, July 29, 2010

Projects, projects and more projects...

.
I was chatting with a friend this morning and she said that she enjoyed reading our blog. Then I realized that it had been a while since the last time I updated, so I figured it was about time. Thanks for the reminder, Tiara!

There have been three major projects going on here at Camp Jabez... so far, only one of them has been completely finished, but the other two are in progress.

Project #1, a wind generator



[the wind generator is secured by wires in three different places that have been attatched to some cemented rebar]


Project #2, the fish pond

We decided to make the pond out of cement and concrete blocks instead of using plastic lining. There were so many more 'pros' to doing it this way. After everything is in place, it will be water proofed.






Project #3, the cow barn/shed

Right now [like literally, as I type], Jake and the boys are working on cementing the part of the floor where the cows will stand.





I'll have to take some more photos when they're done, after it cures. They've been offered a reward if they finish today: nyama choma [= "roasted meat" in Swahili]... a special treat for working hard! I can hear them from where I am in the house, yelling and chanting on encouragement to each other as they mix the hardcore [rocks], cement, sand and water together.

I'm sure by now you know which of the three projects has been completed and which two are still in progress. :)

More bread baking has been on my list of things "to do..." I really enjoy doing it, and we all enjoy the 'end result.' It sure doesn't last long around here when it's freshly baked!!



Pregnancy wise, things are still going really well. I just passed the 2nd trimester mark... well, at least, I think I did. I never was able to get a straight answer from any resource about when the 2nd trimester started... and I heard a million different answers! Some said at the beginning of 13 weeks, some said at 13w3d, some said at the end of 14 weeks... so I just picked the middle response and went with that. I'm now at 13w4d... baby is the size of a peach and continuing to grow! I still feel fantastic... I still haven't had really any nausea; just the tiredness. The "emotional fog" definitely lifted, for which I am very thankful... that was a rough couple of weeks!


This photo was taken at 12w3d, but even now at 13w4d there is still no 'bump.' The layers I'm wearing look funky, but baby still hasn't made an obvious "I'M IN HERE!" statement... although I'm told that he/she will, and SOON!


Jake and I are getting more and more excited every day... but I still don't think the realization has fully hit either of us yet. We've been doing some reading and we feel pretty prepared on that front... but we still need to contact our "non-insurance company" and see what policies they have regarding birth coverage.

The students are going on their 2nd term break tomorrow; they get 8 days to spend some time at home. I think they are all very excited! Although we've had a lot of issues this term, I think most of them are growing and learning a lot of things. If you could be in prayer regarding the country of Kenya as a whole next Wednesday; they are voting on a new referendum. They aren't expecting things to get nasty around here, but there are quite a few people that have left their homes 'just in case.' If things do get sketchy, the students will end up having a longer break than we planned, as it might not be the safest to travel. But, God is in control and He will take care of all of us.
Jake and I are going to spend the weekend in Nakuru, hopefully; I am VERY EXCITED to have a REAL shower! Bucket baths get a little old after a while. :] I think we'll just relax most of the time, but we plan to go into town and walk around the market for a little while. 
Then we begin our third [and final!] term on August 9th... I can't believe it's almost at the end already! The time is flying by, especially more so now that I am counting down the weeks for something else :] 

I think that's about all that's been going on here lately... we've been staying busy with lots of little things every day, and there's a few big things here and there, too. But life is good. God is good. Things are going well. Thank you for praying!


No comments: